The Queen’s Own Hussars and the Queen’s Royal Irish Hussars both sprang from previous amalgamations in 1958 – 3rd The King’s Own Hussars with the 7th Queen’s Own Hussars and the 4th Queen’s Own Hussars with the 8th King’s Royal Irish Hussars. Their combined histories give the Regiment a magnificent tradition and powerful inspiration. Of the 172 Battle Honours bestowed on the Regiments, 44 are shown on the guidon.
The Queen’s Royal Hussars were formed on the 1st September 1993 from the amalgamation of the Queen’s Own Hussars and the Queen’s Royal Irish Hussars. The Regiment’s distinguished histories are represented by many unique privileges and traditions, which are maintained today in The Queen’s Royal Hussars. After the Jacobite Rebellion in 1745, the King absolved the 3rd Hussars from drinking the loyal toast, saying that their loyalty was always beyond question; this privilege of ignoring the National Anthem, when played at dinner, was rightly reaffirmed by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth prior to amalgamation.
The Regimental mascot is a Drum Horse, currently a gray Clydesdale called Peninsula, presented to the Queen’s Own Hussars by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother in 1988. The Regimental Mascot carries a pair of silver kettledrums, replicas of those captured at the Battle of Dettingen by the 3rd King’s Own Dragoons; uniquely, the kettledrums are never covered by drum banners, with Battle Honours being engraved directly onto the sides of the drums.
The Maid of Warsaw, the crest of the city, is worn on the left sleeve of service dress by all ranks; this honour was awarded to the 7th Hussars by the Commander of the Second Polish Corps, in recognition of their valour in support of the Polish Forces during the Italian campaign in World War II.
The Regiment served in the various peacekeeping operations in Aden and Malaysia in the 1960s and in Cyprus and Northern Ireland more recently; the Queen’s Royal Irish Hussars led the British forces’ advance onto Iraqi soil in Operation Desert Storm in 1991; in January 1996, the Regiment deployed Challenger tanks to Bosnia as part of the NATO led Peace Implementation Force. The soldiers here today have memories of the exacting conditions that they experienced in that shattered countryside that will stay with them for many months.
The Regimental Cap Badge is made up from the Angel Harp of the 8th Hussars and the Queen’s Royal Irish Hussars, superimposed on the Regimental cypher of the Queen’s Own Hussars, bestowed on the 7th Hussars in 1727; the whole is surmounted by a crown and a lion, with a scroll underneath giving the Regiment’s title in blue and gold.