The Queens Royal Irish Hussars

Cap Badge of the Queens Royal Irish HussarsThe Queen’s Royal Irish Hussars was a cavalry regiment of the British Army formed from the amalgamation of the 4th Queen’s Own Hussars and the 8th King’s Royal Irish Hussars in Hohne, West Germany in 1958.

The Regimental Journal and the Polo Team were nicknamed ‘The Crossbelts’, which was taken from a nickname earned by the 8th Hussars at the Battle of Alemenaro in 1710. Many customs and practices of the two predecessor regiments were retained by the QRIH, such as the green and gold tent hat worn without a badge which was used by officers.

The Regiment amalgamated on the 1 September 1993 with The Queen’s Own Hussars to form The Queen’s Royal Hussars (The Queen’s Own and Royal Irish).

Comments are closed.